Saturday, September 27, 2008

#44: Has it really been that long? (Or: My ability to craft a witty and/or intellegent entry has completely left me if I ever had it to begin with)

Frankly, I'm a little embarrassed to post this entry because 1) it's been so long since I posted that I can see you all thinking "What, she's still around?" or "Who is this? Am I being Punked?" (or now "Oh my god, she is so out of touch that she is still using Ashton Kutcher references in her blog.") and 2) after trying to write something funny about my life over the last 9 months I've realized that I am possibly the most boring person on the planet.

After not posting for 9 months I feel like I should be talking about my training for and conquering of Mt. Everest, or my recent trip around the world as the skipper of a sail boating crew, or the life-changing volunteer work I did to clothe the designer-challenged chiuauas of the Yucatan. Instead, this is what I've been doing the last 9 months: moved to Atlanta, worked, worked, worked, worked, worked, worked, WORKED, bought a house, WORKED, WORKED, went to England, worked, worked, WORKED, WORKED, WORKED, ad infinitum (but with much more working).

Look at that, 9 months worth of blogging summarized in one sentence. Boooooooring!

My job moved me to Atlanta to help start a marketing department to serve our offices in Georgia, which is an honor, to be sure, but the amount of work here has been staggering, and quite frankly unexpected by both me and Corporate. I work an average of 11-12 hours a day. A 10-hour day is a good day. This doesn't leave me with a whole lot of energy to come home and cook, exercise, or even interact with my co-residents, human or canine, let alone write. Luckily a happy little helper was recently hired. Unluckily, I have not been able to transmit my knowledge directly into her brain and am therefore spending time training her. Luckily she is responding well to pressure and is extremely willing to help. (Poor thing stayed late on her second day to help me finish a project.)

Sir and I are loving in Atlanta. He likes his new job and I living in a city with so much to do. Within a couple of months of living here we had already done more stuff than we ever had in North Carolina. (I'm not knocking NC - it's a beautiful state I really liked it there, but apparently I'm a city girl. Who knew?) (Although I am missing the beach.) We've done the politically incorrect Tomahawk Chop at Turner Field; we've scrutinized the abstract "art" at the High Museum; we have rarely been to the same restaurant twice and have a long list of others we're dying to try; we've spent the day at Piedmont Park; we've window shopped in all the little couture/punk/college neighborhoods; we've been to the aquarium and the world of coke; and I still feel like we've explored only a small fraction of what there is to see here. Unfortunately we're on a break from the city until both of our work schedules retreat a few notches down the CRAZY ASS LONG HOURS meter.

Oh, and we bought a house. That's been taking up some time, too. We moved in the middle of August then promptly left the country for a vacation (with all of our belongings sitting in an empty house, conveniently prepackaged in moving boxes - like fast food for burglars!). We went to England with MamaSir and DaddySir. It was a fun, exhausting time. Sir took more than 1,100 photos and I think we walked more than ... I don't know dozens miles? All the maps we bought were in kilometers and it makes my head hurt trying to do the conversion.

When we got back I was relieved to see that all of our belongings were here but disappointed that they had not unpacked themselves as I had instructed. Nor had the house magically cleaned, decorated, or painted itself. I am really not convinced that we got our money's worth on this property.

Our neighbors seem cool. We're in a really mixed neighborhood. We've got a family of four next door, a middle-aged single woman on the other side, grandparents across the street, and a group of "artsy" type people down the road. Let's just say that the "artsy" people have a very interesting idea of maintenance and "decoration" of their yard and house. Appearance aside, everyone has been very friendly.

I'll have to write more about our neighborhood and its proximity to a convenience store that is only convenient if you are looking for wigs and/or beer (seriously.) in another column because I feel this one getting away from me. I've written three or four of these things and then they become outdated or I take a few days away from it and come back and think "Who wrote this? This is awful. And so very very boring." Which is why there has been minimal editing on this post. I apologize for that. But hey - it's up here. And thus the unintended hiatus is over. (Bwhahahaha.)

(I don't know it felt like it needed an evil laugh.)

|

2 Comments:

Blogger LaTech said...

Every once in a while, EVERYONE needs to laugh and evil laugh.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muwhahahahahaha.... cough cough cough. ahem.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home